Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sheikh Abdullah Azzam on Shaykh al-Albani

“…The fourth hadith that was reported by the noble Shaykh al-Albani - I ask Allah to bless his life, and may Allah allow us to benefit from his knowledge - in truth, and in confirming that which is true and admitting that which is good, I am of those who studied at the hands of the Shaykh, and I benefited greatly from him in the areas of ‘Aqidah and researching texts - the authentic texts. Because of this, I shudder whenever I come across a weak hadith, as there is no way that I can place a weak hadith in any of my books. I cannot stand to do this! Subhan Allah, I took from him - may Allah reward him - even if I differ from him in many of the Fiqh opinions that he held. I do not agree with most of his Fiqh opinions, as he held many strange positions. However, in terms of Hadith, then I do not think that there is a single man on this Earth who is more knowledgeable in Hadith than him - our shaykh, Shaykh al-Albani. Likewise, ma Sha’ Allah on his ‘aqidah…

And we add to this that he never befriended or compromised with the tawaghit, nor did he sell out on his religion, nor did he sell the verses of Allah for a small price. Yes, we differ with him in some of his opinions, and I do not accept many of his Fiqh opinions. As for Hadith, then if he tells me that this hadith is authentic, then I do not question it, yes. In truth, he is a Muhaddith; the most well-known living Muhaddith that we know of today, and Allah Knows best. However, this is not the reason that we love him or take from his knowledge of Hadith.

This book of his - ‘Sahih al-Jami” - does not leave my side most of the time; whether I am travelling or at home. I have a copy in my house, and I have a copy here (in the camp in Afghanistan). ‘Sahih al-Jami’ as-Saghir’ is basically a mini-manual of Hadith. I am saying that it is of the best of books after the Book of Allah, the Mighty and Majestic. Any hadith that might come to mind, you can open up this book and see if it is authentic or not.”

1 comment: